- GW Home
- Our Location
- Admissions & Aid
- GW Experience
- Faculty & Staff
Activate Your GW Email Address and NetID
Please note, you will be able to activate your GW email address and NetID on 1/11/16 and after your deposit has been processed by the Office of Admissions. If the system is unable to locate your account, your account may not have been created yet and may need a little more time.
Your NetID (the first part of your GW email address) is used for many online services including registering for Colonial Inauguration in the spring and logging into Blackboard to complete GW First Class in the summer. Once you activate your GW email address, be sure to check your account frequently for university messages.
Please follow the steps below to activate your technology accounts.
1. Retrieve your GWid
- GWid is your student identity number given to you at the time you applied. If you know your GWid, you can proceed to step 2
- Click here to open the GWid site
- Click on "Retrieve your GWid now!"
- Follow the retrieval instructions for "SSN + Date of Birth"
- Your GWid will appear on the page
- Once you have retrieved your GWid, write it down and keep it in a safe place.
2. Activate your PIN
- If you submitted your deposit online, you have already changed your PIN and you can proceed to Step 3.
- Click here to log into the GWeb Information System
- Enter your GWid in the "User ID" field
- Enter your default PIN (MMDDYY of your birthday) and log in
- Change your PIN by going to the Personal Information Menu
- You will use your GWid and PIN to register for housing and classes
3. Create your NetID and GW e-mail address
- Visit the Account Creation page and click Claim an Account.
- Create your NetID - you will need your GWid and PIN to create your NetID
- Once you have created your account, make sure to remember your NetID and password .
You can now access GW e-mail at: http://my.gwu.edu.
(link performs best in Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer)